Tuesday, June 25, 2013

JUNE 22, 2013 “HOT! HORRENDOUS HILLS! ( Shingle Springs to Pollock Pines)


Rusty’s turn to ride: 

The route for the day was only 26 miles but straight up…Hallelujah!

While Rusty was riding I drove to Placerville to a bike shop to get a flat repaired.  That morning when checking tires I found a goat head spur in the tire and pulled it out.  That’s when the trouble started.  Good thing I wasn’t riding today because it would have been a hassle to begin with.  Talking with the bike mechanic I decided to have both tubes replaced with slime tubes.  I had ridden 3,200 miles across the U.S. with slime tubes and narry a flat but an occasion addition of air.  It was frustrating because I had just had a new tire put on that wheel in  Davis. The mechanic said that it was the best Bon Trager tire and was excellent!  BUT GOAT HEADS are TREACHEROUS! 

Let’s talk about goat heads:  They are found universally except in the rain forests (and not in Oregon).  The plant is a friendly little green plant about 18 inches  high with cute little yellow flowers that dry up and become EVIL GOATHEADS!  We are actually familiar with them.  They are all over Arizona and New Mexico. Originally came from Greece. They will be numerous and obnoxious from now on. 

After the bike shop I turned back to meet Rusty along the road.  He had ridden  7 miles and a lot of it was along chip seal.  I think our first real experience with that road surface on this ride.  It is not a nice surface to ride.  It jars one’s bones and the bolts on the bike.  It was a tough 7 climbing  miles in the heat!


We had quite a bit of day and miles left so I decided to ride a few.  I rode ten sweaty miles.  We have now traded eucalyptus for Ponderosa  pines.  Smells like the great outdoors!   

We stayed at West Haven Motor Inn at Pollock Pines

 

No comments: