A Rusty Wisdom: This morning in the tent Rusty woke up, gave me a good morning kiss and said "Thanks for coming camping with me. I'm on a camping trip and you're on a bike ride."
First thing on the agenda today was to pay the bills! Rusty wanted to use a library computer with a secured system and we haven't had much luck catching up with library hours until now. It was a slow process and took until about noon.
Rusty's turn to ride. 93 degrees but old stuff by now......WHO AM I KIDDING? Rusty does handle the heat better however. He says it's because he's an old Arizona boy and I'm an Oregon girl.
Rusty rode 16 miles and I did 14. We had a late start and it was 4:00, 99degrees and at this point we needed to get to our town/campsite.
The elevation panel on our map seriously looks like the old rick- rac trim. anyone remember that? This area is also in the " no services" for umpteen miles but has a bar on the side of the mountain. I happened to be riding this section and Rusty was waiting with an ice cold 7-Up! No water available but the next best thing. This spot is called Major's Junction. Remember my question "Why would anyone want to live here?" Well, they don"t!!
Five of those 14 miles were down a winding 6% grade. Had to stop a couple of times to "finger" tighten a bolt securing the front wheel. I've been having a little trouble with my front wheel wobbling on the down hills. Not an authentic "speed wobble" but the bolt concerned with holding the wheel tight tends to loosen. My old faithful Bridgestone is a Classic (as a fellow bicyclist at Kit Carson Lodge said as he was admiring it) and perhaps it needs a little help in that department. Luckily we do have a tool for that and Rusty gives it his muscle. It holds tight for a while but it is something we have to now check often. No worries!
After finishing the down hill and the 7-Up stop I rode a while on the basin. Powerful head winds in that area and a huge area of windmills putting the wind to good use. The area is called Spring Valley. I've renamed it Headwinds Valley.
Drove on to Baker Nevada and found an absolutely gorgeous campsite at the Great Basin National Park for $6 with Golden Age Pass. No special amenities but a very clean no plumbing restroom We drove up in to the pines and camped not far from Baker Creek. . We could hear it bubble and splash !! We took a hike and splashed out dusty dirty toes in the water. Why does the soul delight in the sound of water? (ponder that one)
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment