June 5, Friday
38 miles
THE LAST DAY OF OUR EPIC ADVENTURE UP THE MISSISSIPPI RIVER AND MORE...
We are in Waukesha,WI getting ready to ride out on our last day. Oh that is so sad! It has been a wonderful experience! I learn new things about the world and myself every time I venture out of my "envelope". Today's ride should only be about 32 miles. One never knows when it comes to negotiating the city...we are in big city stuff now...but Wi has major bike trails all over and we've ridden mostly on them since we got into this state. We'll have about 22 miles of "city stuff" today before we get a trail to Grafton..our final destination. ...Susie and Eric and five grand kids!! I hope they're as excited as we are. We hope to get there in time for Rusty to go on the father/son camp out with the two grandson's .
BUT WAIT!!!! THERE'S MORE!!
I'll be updating and filling in more details of our ride as soon as I have some more computer time. Check back later..
I'm finally finishing up this post about our last day of the ride. I've been enjoying R&R time with family and doing a little posting each day.
We rode the trails into Cedarburg, about 5 miles from Grafton, and called Susie. This was getting really exciting. She told us to keep riding and she'd meet us along the way...somewhere? About three miles later we were paused to cross a city street and there was Eric in his car! He pulled in to the parking lot and we got our first hugs from Grafton family!! He told us that Susie was up a head a couple of miles riding our direction to meet us! How fun is that!! So with every pedal stroke we were looking for her and then there she was on her "cute" lavender pinkish bicycle and wearing no helmet! Gosh Susie!!! It was more hugs and pictures and then on to the final destination with Susie leading the way. And that was no easy feat with Grafton hills between there and home. I loved seeing Susie walking up the hill with her dad riding slowly along side as they chatted away. It made a great picture!
The children weren't home when we arrived at the house but Susie and I jumped in the car and started making the rounds picking them up. It was such a treat to see the looks on their faces when they saw who was in the car with their mom. Certainly made me feel welcome. They have all grown taller and cuter, smarter and nicer! Just what grandparents like to see.
We arrived about 2:30 and the EDT for the Father/Son camp out was 3:00. We made it in time for Rusty to help get the gear together and head out with Eric and Zac. Nick was sick.
It felt so good to complete the ride but almost unreal. Total miles 1,568! So many days and miles and memories behind us and I must say I'm grateful for every one of them!
Friday, June 5, 2009
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
1 comment:
As I was riding to get to the trail, I was feeling "the burn", and wondering why I didn't just hop in the car and try to find you that way. But when I finally saw the two of you coming up the hill it made the ride worth it.
We love bragging about our parents/grandparents that rode their bikes 1500 miles to visit. We are so glad that you are here!!!
Post a Comment